Do you really know the truth about consuming eggs, milk and cheese? While animal products may provide a wide range of food options for us to eat, it may not be the best option for our health. Get the scientific facts behind animal products!
Here are a few interesting facts about animal products:
- Animal products are the only source of cholesterol and the main source of saturated fat in a diet.
- Animal products contain no fiber. However, fiber can improve health because it helps reduce cholesterol levels. (Read more about fibers on page 37).
Eating meat can promote bone loss, because it forces calcium out of the body. This calcium extraction can cause tract stones.
- Eating meat promotes cancer in many forms.
- Meat-eaters are three times more likely to be obese than vegetarians, and nine times more likely than vegans. On average, vegans are 10 to 20 pounds lighter than adult meat-eaters.
The link between animal products and serious health conditions are ground in scientific research
Contaminated animal flesh causes 70% of food poisoning, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
- In the USA alone, 76 million illnesses are caused by diseases such as E. Coli or Salmonella, each year. This often lead to hospitalization and even death.
- Antibiotic resistance is a growing problem. Antibiotics are used on animals to promote their growth. The consumption of meat treated with antibiotics makes people more resistant to antibiotics when they are sick and really need it.
Now that you know the scientific facts behind animal products, you might also be interested in learning how dairy products affect our health.