If like me you have a sweet tooth and at the same time you care about your health, you will want to know about the facts below.
Around the globe, more and more people are addicted to sugar. Why? Because we start too young to consume too much sugar. Like a drug, sugar is addictive, both physically and mentally. When we eat sugar, something happens in our brain the same way that if we would consume illegal drugs. Our brain produces more natural opioids. These are hormones that can help relieve pain. It is hard to escape this addiction because sugar is everywhere, even where it is not expected to be found. If no one is surprised that soda and other chocolate bars contain it, it is more puzzling to know that sugar is very often added in salty preparations such as canned items, tomato sauces, or industrial juices.
Among all the ways sugar can “ruin your health here are 45 that I found
(if you know any more ways please leave a comment below, I’ll add them to the list):
- Decrease in emotional stability
- Makes adrenaline rise quickly
- Increase anxiety
- Feeds cancer cells
- Vitamin E levels lowered
- Makes magnesium, protein and calcium less well absorbed
- Intoxicate and can be addictive like a drug or alcohol
- Can bring hyperactivity
- Decreases good cholestérol levels
- Body changes sugar into two to five times more fat in the bloodstream compared to starch
- Can develop dizziness
- Can bring obesity
- Increases total cholesterol, and bad cholesterol levels
- Can develop gastrointestinal tract problems
- Leads to difficulty in concentration
- Results in decreased activity in adults and children especially
- Can lead to antisocial behavior
- Increases fasting levels of glucose
- Leads to the formation of kidney stones and gallstones
- Leads to crankiness in children
- Can lead to depression
- Reduces learning capacity and can cause learning disorders that could affect schoolchildren’s grades
- Can induce cell death
- Increases systolic blood pressure
- Increases risk of toxemia in pregnancy
- Decreases insulin sensitivity, leading to high insulin levels and eventually diabetes
- Makes the Skin age faster
- Can lead to headaches, including migraines
- Can develop food allergies
- Increase acidity in saliva
- Increase risks of tooth decay
- Can lead to contraction of appendicitis, hemorrhoids, and varicose veins
- Can lead to autoimmune diseases like arthritis, asthma, and multiple sclerosis
- Increases risk of gout and Alzheimer’s disease
- Contributes to eczema in children
- Contributes to osteoporosis
- Greatly promotes uncontrolled growth of Candida Albicans (yeast infections)
- Increases risk of Parkinson’s disease
- Promotes loss of tissue elasticity and function
- Can lead to weaker eyesight
- Makes acne symptoms worse
- Can change collagen structure
- Can lead to suppression of immune system, increasing the risk of contracting infectious diseases
- Increases risk of polio
- Can Brittle tendons
But don’t remove all sugar from your diet
To meet your energy needs, the body needs a sugar called glucose.
It is not the “classic” white sugar that after refining loses vitamins and minerals essential to health.
For the body to function properly, the blood glucose (= glucose level) should vary between 0.80 and 1.10 grams per liter of fasting blood, and between 1 and 1.40 grams within 2 hours after a meal.
For all those who wish or need to control their sugar consumption, it is important to know that there are different alternatives to white sugar with variable glycemic index, that is to say, more or less influencing blood sugar.
How to decrease your consumption of sugar and what are the alternatives?
- Increase your intake of vegetables and especially whole grains (bread, pasta, cookies, etc.), in order to reconnect with complex carbohydrates.
- In the case of a sugar craving, you can eat (with moderation) dried fruits, which contain treasures of minerals and vitamins or a little honey, maple syrup or agave syrup. Stevia can also be a good sugar substitute. Of course, eating fruits is the best option. Did you know that fruits and seeds constituted the original diet God gave to men? “And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.” – Genesis 1:29. You can learn about it more in details and why it is important to us today, in my book “The Bible Diet”.
- If you really want to use sugar, use the whole brown sugar because it has retained its vitamins and minerals.
- Also, consider physical exercise. It is sovereign to less stress and put your body, as well as your mental, in shape.
- Look at the nutritional facts behind the items that you buy at the supermarket to see how much sugar they contain (and absolutely avoid high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) which is considered to be deadly because of the health risks that can it can cause).
- Cook your own food as much as you can.
Ask God to help you, He will!
Like in every battles in life, sugar addiction can be a tough battle to fight by ourselves. God can and will help if you ask Him to! I personally had a sugar addiction, and even if I still have a sweet tooth, the way I eat is totally different than before. I don’t crave certain food anymore (I even dislike those foods now) and I now eat healthier sweets. But I could not have done this by myself. Before becoming a Christian, I tried many ways to change my eating habits but all failed. God is our helper, He can change all the bad things in our life if we ask Him and acknowledge Him as our God. The Bible says:
- “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me” – Philippians 4:13
- “All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out” – John 6:37
- “And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible” – Mark 10:27
- “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness” – Isaiah 41:10
- “And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people” – Matthew 4:23
- “And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free” – John 8:32
- “He has not dealt with us according to our sins, nor punished us according to our iniquities. For as the heavens are high above the earth, so great is His mercy toward those who fear Him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us” – Psalm 103:10-12
- “Come now, and let us reason together,” says the Lord, “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall be as wool.” – Isaiah 1:18
- “I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions for My own sake; and I will not remember your sins” – Isaiah 43:25
- “It was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations” – Luke 24:46-47
And always remember that Jesus cares about us and want us to do in happy and in better health “Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth” – 3 John 1:2. And remember that for every truth of God, Satan has a counterfeit and he tries to make what is bad look good and what is good look bad. The devil wants us to believe that we can be free by disobeying God’s health laws and that we can do everything with, or put everything in our bodies, but as it is written in John 8:44 “Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar and the father of it”.
I hope that this article helps or if you have any questions, leave a comment below. I’m always pleased to answer anyone… even bad comments 😉
MY FAVORITE VERSES OF THE MOMENT:
“27 And the keeper of the prison, awaking from sleep and seeing the prison doors open, supposing the prisoners had fled, drew his sword and was about to kill himself. 28 But Paul called with a loud voice, saying, “Do yourself no harm, for we are all here.” 29 Then he called for a light, ran in, and fell down trembling before Paul and Silas. 30 And he brought them out and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 So they said, “BELIEVEon the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.” 32 Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all who were in his house. 33 And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their stripes. And immediately he and all his family were baptized.“ – Acts 16:27-33